WHO SHOULD APPLY:
BUD participants must meet the following requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least 18 years of age
- Pass a drug test
- Score at least a Level 5 on the WorkKeys Applied Math test
- Score at least a Level 5 on the WorkKeys Workplace Documents test
- Have access to a vehicle at program completion
WorkKeys® is a test that measures skills that employers have found are essential to success in the workplace. Applicants interested in participating in the BUD program must take the WorkKeys test and score at least a 5 on both the Applied Mathematics and Workplace Documents tests. Please follow these steps to complete WorkKeys testing.
- Register with the Missouri Division of Workforce Development.
You may complete your entire registration in person by visiting a Missouri Job Center location near you. Because there may be changes in availability due to COVID19, we recommend calling the job center before visiting.
- In the City of St. Louis: St. Louis Agency on Training and Employment (SLATE), 1520 Market Street - 314-589-8000
- In St. Louis County: Crossings at Northwest office at 715 Northwest Plaza Drive, or the Florissant Job Center at 4040 Seven Hills Drive - 314-615-6010
- Missouri Job Center of St. Charles County, 212 Turner Blvd., St. Peters MO 63376
- Arnold Job Center, 3675 W. Outer Road, Arnold, MO 63010
- A map of other Job Center locations can be found at jobs.mo.gov/career-centers.
- Take a practice test to see how you score.
If you are working with a social service agency or school district, check with them first to see if they offer a practice test. Otherwise, contact a Missouri Job Center (see locations above) to arrange to take a practice test. You may be able to take the practice tests online. Make sure you keep your MOJOBS user name and password.
- Did you do well on the practice tests? If you were able to score at least a 5 on the practice test, you may be ready to make an appointment for the actual test. The test must be taken in person, and you should allow two to three hours for testing.
Contact the Missouri Job Center location to make the appointment.
- St. Louis City residents may call SLATE at 314-589-8000
- St. Louis County residents may call 314-615-6010
- Do you need a little help? If you were unable to pass the test at a Level 5, you may be able to get some help to improve your scores. Check out the following organizations:
- Missouri Job Center – St. Louis City / SLATE. (314) 589-8000. On-line assistance only.
- Missouri Job Center – St. Louis County. Remediation Classes available. Contact Tanisha Travis by phone or email: (314)615-6014 or email@example.com.
- University City Adult Education and Literacy - serving ALL of the St. Louis Metropolitan Area. Providing WorkKeys pre-assessments, remediation classes, resume writing, and BUD application assistance. Contact Leslie Keaveny by phone or email: (314)290-4056 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Don’t wait until the last minute! You will need your WorkKeys scores in order to be considered for the BUD class. Give yourself plenty of time to take the practice tests and work to improve your scores if needed. It is recommended that you begin the process at least six weeks before the start of the BUD class. View the BUD Program Class Schedule.